Thursday, March 9, 2006

Observations from the Drummer's Wife

Review from Donna Doyle, wife of the drummer of The Bad Boys:

I'd like to begin by saying, I don't have any particularly impressive status, I'm just the wife of the drummer for the Bad Boys. This is my account, and my opinions. I just want to say:

THE BAD BOYS ARE BACK!!!

The Boys have been playing collectively and independently with numerous projects in and around San Antonio for close to 30 years now. The Bad Boys were formed around 1988 playing classic rock with some original music thrown in. The guys have returned from their hiatus {that seemed like a lifetime}. So I am spreading the word, and in doing so would like to share some thoughts and observations.

There's just nothing in the world like good live music, good Bad Boys live rock and roll. The band played a Saturday nite in early February at The Bay {formerly Iguana Bay}. The club has recently reopened, promoting local live music once more. They've remodeled nicely, taking out the wall blocking out the back room. It's much more open and airy, making the sound better throughout the club. You guys over at The Bay did a real good job. The stage is bigger and they redid the bathrooms{thank you}.

Anyway, the Bad Boys were phenomenal {I could stop right there, but you know I won't} and the club was packed, despite the rodeo in town, and if anyone balked paying the $3 cover I am certain they felt they got their moneys' worth after two or three songs, and so much more! THE BOYS WERE ON. They were tight, they were electric, there just are no words to describe how awesome it was. It's not just talent, because I know how talented they all are, it goes beyond that. The charisma and chemistry between the four of them is second to none, but they tap into something else, it's magical and so cool to witness.

I noticed several first timers to the Bad Boys in The Bay that night and it was great to watch the band through their eyes for the first time. I enjoyed watching them get fired up about the band, I guess they were really glad they sprung for the cover that nite.

The vocals were excellent and the sound was great, each song better than the last, until San Antonio's favorite original; "Heaven on a Harley", wrapped up the night. From the first few notes of their Steve Miller intro throughout the entire evening they were wonderful! The Gavin Degraw tune, "I Don't Wanna Be" was superb and did they EVER rock the Velvet Revolver and the Queens of The Stone Age - there are no words...

The crowd was almost as loud as the band, several time I overheard people asking "what's THAT song?" or exclaiming "that's one of my favorites!". They were raving about the cover tunes; the Hendrix, the ZZ Top and the Audio Slave to name a few, {my personal all time BB favorite, "Must Have Been the Wine", was so hot they almost burned the place down!} The crowd was so charged up; hooping and hollering and whistling between songs, I was told they could hear the racket down the block! {I still think the dance floor may really have been on fire}.

So thank's to the crowd for paying the cover, I know what risky business that can be. Especially when it's your one night out and you're paying a sitter and you're really looking forward to an evening out. It can be very discouraging to wind up with the wrong music or the wrong place, and after a couple of those it makes you want to just stay home and rent movies. It's important to be out there supporting local, live music, hats off to you!

I'd like to also thank the Bad Boys! Man, we missed you awfully bad and are really excited to have you back! {Did I say "phenomenal"?} And thank's guys, for helping me with my very brief band history. I'm sorry I didn't tout all your many accomplishments, but hey, I'm just the drummers wife, waiting for the next gig!

You can check the upcoming club dates on Wayne Wilson's new website, that I've listed below. You can get a sneak peek at his new originals and see other fun stuff, including some Bad Boys pics. Please take the time to visit and look up the dates, and please, please tell your friends the Bad Boys are back! They will be grateful as am I for any help getting the word out about their return.

Thanks for taking the time, there's just nothing like live Bad Boys,

Donna Doyle


The Bad Boys are:

Wayne Wilson............Lead Vocals and Guitar
Chris Watkins............Bass Guitar
The Twins:
Jeff Doyle..................Lead Guitar and Vocals
Jerry Doyle................Drums and Vocals


{ Found this on the bathroom wall:}
..............................FOR A GOOD TIME, CALL:

Wayne Wilson "Hey Bad Boys"

http://waynewilson.net.tc/