Monday, July 24, 2006

The Weekend: 4-Fifteen, Texas Special (and some Jay & Silent Bob, hell yeah!)

Friday I had planned to go see two cover bands who were playing near my house. I was going to check out 4-Fifteen at BoozeHounds, then hop over to 321 Max to see Red Sauce Rules. However, Thursday night Staci (remember her?) called and said she was coming in town from Houston for the weekend and did I want to go see Clerks II with her Friday night. So I weighed the decision...good music vs Jay and Silent Bob...hmmmmmmm

So let me just tell you that Clerks II is freakin’ hilarious. My ass is probably still over there at the Quarry, because I think I laughed it off. Pretty much anything offensive you can think of...it’s in there. Racial epithets, bestiality, full frontal nudity...loved it!

Anyway, back to the subject. So after the movie, I talked Staci into going to check out some music with me and gave her a choice of BoozeHounds or 321 Max. She chose BoozeHounds, so we went to see 4-Fifteen. Sorry, Red Sauce Rules! I’ll have to catch you guys another time.

I had wondered about the name 4-Fifteen and thought maybe when they were coming up with a band name, somebody said, “Damn, it’s already 4:15,” and...well, you know, after hours of trying to think of a cool name, everything starts to sound like a possible band name. Fortunately, they have a better reason for the name. It’s the police code for a loud music violation (or they were 5 minutes early for 420).

4-Fifteen

We really only got to catch one set, but from what I heard, good job! Scotty has a good gritty voice, perfect for songs like The Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” (excellent job on that one!), Gin Blossoms’ “Hey Jealousy,” Tommy Tutone’s “Jenny (867-5309) and The Commodores’ “Brick House.” (Maybe not for “Easy Like Sunday Morning.”)

4-Fifteen

Oh, and you know how there’s one song that a lot of bands play that I can never remember the name of and thus always refer to it as “that damn 80's song”? It’s The Cure “Just Like Heaven.” So next time I say “that damn 80's song” (because I’ll forget the name of it again, I promise), that’s the song I’m referring to.

Saturday night I went up to BoozeHounds again, this time to see Texas Special. I didn’t get to see much of them before, at the Elbow Room. I had heard that they wouldn’t be doing many shows for a while because they were going to be working on originals. So I figured, catch ‘em while you can.

It was nice to get a chance to hang out and talk to the guys a little. Got to say we ended up on some weird subjects...theremin bras, how it sucks when in you’re riding in one of those horse-and-cart things and the horse farts, whether or not Ted Nugent really does drugs...

Oh, and M’Lissa, I was bummed you weren’t there! I was hoping you would be!

One of the things I really like about Texas Special is that, even playing covers, they’re original. James Ponder makes each song his own, with his deep gruff bluesy voice and scorching guitar solos. Their choice of songs reflects their musical passions, not what they think people want to hear. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Cream, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Black Sabbath, The Beatles (or really Aerosmith, I think, since to me their cover of “Come Together” sounded more like the Aerosmith version than The Beatles’ version, which is fine with me).

I’m convinced there was some mix-up at birth, because I’m pretty sure James Ponder was meant to be a large black man. I swear, if you couldn’t see him and heard him singing, that is what you would picture...someone who looked like BB King or Louis Armstrong. Seriously, he’s a big black guy in a white boy’s body.

I’m going to shut up now and let the music speak for itself. If you have broadband, check out this video of “Stormy Monday” - which, by the way, I looked to see who actually wrote that song and turns out it was T Bone Walker, in case anyone is interested and didn’t already know that. If you don’t have broadband, you’re missing out. Sorry. Ok, I’ll really shut up now. Check it out.