Monday, June 4, 2007

Texas Rocks Shakespeare

My friend and I went down to the Botanical Gardens Friday night to see the Shakespeare in the Park production of "The Taming of the Shrew." This is one of my favorites of the Bard's plays. Very funny, as long as you're temporarily willing to put up with the idea that women should be subservient to their men (ha!).

Now, I know, I know, you're asking yourself, "Why is Rowan writing a review of a Shakespearean play on a music blog?" I'll get to that. Just roll with it.

One of the coolest things about this production was that, although it was in Shakespearean English, instead of taking place in Padua, it takes place in San Antonio, and the people come from the Valley and Eagle Pass and Austin. The characters also wore modern clothing, in styles you are likely to see here in SA, such as a guayabera.

Another cool thing about the play was that, in between songs, they played contemporary music, in a variety of styles. Several times, I thought to myself, "This is a pretty cool song. I wonder who it's by."

Well, as it turns out, there is a reason these songs were so cool! When I got home and looked over my program, I found this:

The music used in this production is the work of local and Texas artists including...: Jon Dee Graham, Claude Morgan and the Blast, Flaco Jimenez, True Stories, Buttercup, Patricia Vonne, Los #3 Dinners, Rosie Flores, Mingo Fishtrap, Aztex, Eric Hisaw, The Lavens, Big Melvis and the Tonedaddies, Kelli King and the Fritters, and the Earfood Orchestra. You may catch these talented folks live in San Antonio at a variety of venues. Support Live Music in San Antonio!


The backdrops for the play were also Texas-flavored, featuring "El Sol" and "La Guitarra" and "Pollo" with pictures of each (sun, guitar, chicken), and original artwork by local artist Chris Boneta was being auctioned off near the front of the park.

I really enjoyed the way they added local flavor to this production. Very novel and well-done. And I enjoyed the music immensely.

I give it five habaneros!

Five habaneros also to Papa Wood, who was playing at BoozeHounds, where we went afterwards. You guys rocked as usual!! And Hi to Jerry, who said he reads SA Rocks every day, and to Lee from Ulterior Motive, whom I finally got to meet in person!