Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What's All the Fuss About?

Or maybe that should be what’s The Fuss all about? I recently received a copy of the new CD “One Hot Night” by The Fuss (a.k.a. Chris Boss and The Fuss). And I would say The Fuss is all about making good fun music. This would be a great CD to pop in at a party. Instead of spending a large amount of time picking out party music and painstakingly mixing it onto a disc, just throw in “One Hot Night.” It has it all. You’ve got pop punk tunes like “Punk and Disorderly Part I & II,” “The End of Innocence” and “It’s All About Me.” You’ve got glam rock numbers like “Shake It Up Baby!” and “Rise Up.” And for good measure (and, I think, my favorite) a more Southern rock/bluesy tune called “Earthquake Rock.” And much more.

Chris Boss has been making music around San Antonio for a long time and I think this CD is a culmination of that. You can definitely hear his musical influences in this album: a little bit of Green Day, The Ramones, KISS, etc., but brought together by his unique voice and style. In “Rise Up” you get a good taste of his vocal range, and in “Shake It Up Baby!” and “Earthquake Rock” you get a taste of his fantastic guitar-playing ability.

Now, anyone who’s been following along knows that I appreciate the hell out of some kickass guitar, so it probably goes without saying that when listening to the works of a guitarist who I know has a great appreciation for the “guitar gods” and the ability to follow suit, I naturally was expecting to hear some great guitar work on this album. And there is some, but I was a little disappointed to find that, well...not so much. But, hey, that’s just me, and I can’t expect a musician to tailor his music to my specifications.

All in all, definitely a CD worth picking up, which you can do online at www.cdbaby.com/cd/chrisbossfuss. For more information go to www.chrisboss.com or www.myspace.com/thefussrocks.